Sunday, November 8, 2009

Saturday checking out ministries

Well what an awesome day I had
I had my very own driver pick me up
I envisioned someone in a suit or army uniform but he was a rapper :) so awesome. He was such a gentleman he opened my doors and helped up into car.
It was quite funny he drove me past where jay-z grew up. And where 50cent grew up.
Was really funny
The first place he drove me to was briarwood an awesome shelter for families. They house 91 families and run programs to help the families get back on their feet. Families can stay for up to 6-9months. They run a homework club. They have a daycare and English program. The families get a small but self contained unit. It is such a lovely place in a nice area of queens. They work hard to make it nice and Like one big family.
They have awesome big buddy system on Saturdays where selected college students get a little buddy from the shelter a child between ages of 6-16. Awesome program they go out each saturday morning and do fun things around the city
fantastic
it is such a safe shelter too. No alcohol or drugs anywhere as they search it often to keep it safe and loving for families
I also ended up being there on the day they were havin a coat drive where each person gets brand new winter snow coat and cloves beanie and scarf. They are brand new donated from public. Was totally awesome. They were so grateful as it's freezing here

Then I went to a home for severly mentally and physically disabled young people between 21-35
is fantastic
got to spend rest of day there they were such precious people. It is the best home I have ever seen. From outside it looks just like a big beautiful house. On the inside it's just like a home. Not like a hospital or institutions. And the best 2 things. U can feel the love all throughout the home and and u can feel God there and they also take them away on holidays. They take 3-4 at a time a their carer and they take them to amazing places. Niagata falls. Miami. Florida. They go somewhere different every year. It's amazing.

I had an amazing day. God moved and spoke to me so much. God called the salvation army to this. To be active. Not to be like other churches but to be who God called us to be. I have been feeling that it's time we stop comparing ourselves with other churches because God didn't call us to do awesome Sunday church ( although that can be part of it and we need it to refuel us) but Hes called us to be the hands and feet of Jesus everyday. Bringig people to Jesus everyday throught our acts of kindness and justice. Being Jesus to people and then leading them to the Lord.
Was awesome awesome day

After a rest and sorting through my emotions I went out for tea and went coat shopping. I've been freezing and afte 4 hours I found some I liked. Most shops don't close till 9pm everyday and others later. It's amazing. Awesome Saturday and more tours on Monday with my rapper driver :)
lov u and miss u all

No comments:

Post a Comment